through a glass, darkly

Always there is a black spot in our sunshine: It is the Shadow of Ourselves.

Name:
Location: Singapore

Thursday, December 29, 2005

Meet My New Babies!!

Nothing interesting or cerebral to say here (my brain's still on holiday), except, I LOVE DISCOUNT SHOE SHOPPING!!

Meet my new babies:

BCBG - down from $99.98 to $39.00! Aren't they gorgeous?! I love slingbacks (must have like 5 pairs of them, at least), and they're only about 3inches high, i.e. walkable. Nice and pointy, and I love the little details, like contrast stitching, and the autumny colours. They'll look fabulous with jeans or an elegant pencil skirt. Quote Joanna (my partner in crime - she got a lovely pair of beige mules for herself, and another pair for her mum) - "Those are beeeeautiful! I would stare at those if a woman wears them and walks past me on the street. And you know these are the kind of shoes you'd keep
forever. There is nothing I don't like about them! GET THEM!!"
How could I say 'no' after all that raving? ;)


Funky olive green suede kitten heel square-toed pumps from Kenneth Cole. 80% off!! Down from $99 to $20 - Bargain, right?! This makes me very happy indeed. Love the metalwork and croc skin detail at the front. And they're very, very comfy.

I have a professor at the KSG who always wears very interesting shoes, and the girls in class are always like, I wonder what Professor Bhabha's going to wear today, her shoes are always very cool! (I want my students to say that about me too in the future, hehe)

edited to add: Professor Bhabha is married to Homi Bhabha! I did get a bit suspicious when I first saw her name but thought, naaaaaaah, they do such different things - one is a human rights lawyer, and the other (to quote lish) 'the poster-boy of the subaltern school'. Waaaah. How cool is this? speaking of famous people, I'm hoping to do a Samuel Huntington class at the FAS next term... one day I might actually be able to say 'Sam Huntington yelled at me in lecture today for being stupid and unprepared!' (since there's no way on earth I'm going to be able to provoke any other kind of reaction from the great man himself). That'll be COOL :) man, I am pathetic.

edited again to say: Siau just burst my bubble! She says Huntington is 'crapcrapcrapcrapcrap'.. .but.. but.. timmy says he's quite good! (to which siau retorts, timmy also thinks that Fukuyama has a point; timmy is SWEET - or have we not realised that already? and I say, sweet = stupid and misguided?? to which Siau very diplomatically chooses not to respond) I - or my little beleaguered brain - cannot handle this kind of confusion. I think I need to lie down. And damn it, I *still* want to be able to bawl, '
Sam Huntington yelled at me in lecture today for being stupid and unprepared!' the same way I can say, 'Damn, that Amartya Sen sure talks and walks very slowly.. what's he on about this time? Wittgenstein who? what?' and also, 'Paul Farmer is quite cute, I hear he is unmarried!!' OK quit procrastinating already and DO YOUR DAMN PAPER you stupid girl you.

Nothing I hate more than a nondescript black slacks + white shirt + boring boring black pumps outfit. Shoes and bags and a good coat are essential because they help to pull your entire look together - I can be wearing a ratty cheap t-shirt and old jeans, but if I have fabulous shoes I just feel
so much better :)

Oh and on a very random note, here's something hilarious.

Tim, Ben, Lisheng and Velma (henceforth TBLV) are staying with me in Boston at the moment. We were in NYC together, and they'd just flown in from the West Coast (San Francisco). When they were there, Sean (Wat) was supposed to bring them around, so on the phone:

TBLV: so where should we meet?
Sean: Have you seen the Sex?
TBLV:
*Thinks about dodgy sex shops they've seen in the city. Also thinks, wow, Sean's sense of geographical reference is pretty WEIRD. "The Sex?!" * Errrr.. yes... think so.
Sean: Ok, let's meet at the one in the square.

They must have ended up missing one another, I don't know what happened in between, but they had this conversation when they finally cleared things up:

Sean: I meant the SAKS!!! The designer store!! "The Sex"? What did you guys take me for?!!
TBLV: Huh? What's that? S-A-K-S? that's pronounced "SAAAHKS". You say C-A-H-R for car, right? Not C-A-R-E.
Sean: Well, you also don't say, 'I went shopping at the G-U-P", do you?!

Ha. I have funny friends :)


1 Comments:

Blogger Nathan said...

Its not cheap ok the shoes. I am going to tell mummy. *sniggers

http://photos.reuters.com/Pictures/galleries/showcases/showcase_slide.asp?storyID=632702912668906250&urlStr=/pictures/&directory=/configData/Pictures/&edition=USn.

12:16 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Join the Blue Ribbon Online Free Speech Campaign
Join the Blue Ribbon Online Free Speech Campaign!