through a glass, darkly

Always there is a black spot in our sunshine: It is the Shadow of Ourselves.

Name:
Location: Singapore

Wednesday, January 04, 2006

Adventures in Disposable Income

Disposable indeed.
Ever find that the more work you have to do, the more enticing mindsweeper/random blogs/ebay/gallivanting around town in the snow throwing money away or various other nefarious time-wasting forms of behaviour become?
sigh.

Here's the book damage this week (yes, it's just like every other week. Oei, don't judge. I
like books.)


In my defence:
-
Let's Go Mexico - I am going to Mexico. When these darn papers are done. Which reminds me, $70 on insurance.. more money gone! mehhh. But we all know what happened the last time I travelled without insurance, right? yup, I busted my chin and had to have 9 stitches. Which was actually much less pain than expected.. it was quite fun! and heck, it makes a good story. Oh and 'Let's Go' was the lightest mexico guidebook - lonely planet was so heavy! hate lugging heavy books around when I'm travelling - and erm, doing my bit to support harvard students??
-
The Essential Federalist and Anti-Federalist Papers - Well I kind of needed this for class. Ish. Even though we had exerpts in the coursepack. But hey, I think it should be mandatory reading for anyone who's spent any time in the US and wants to understand how the Constitution came about and how the government ticks. Oh and hey, Alexander Hamilton was cute - go look at the US$10 bill. Quote Diana: "Eh, this guy must have been damn good looking when he was young lah! Very good bone structure!!" I agree, and no, it is not sick for us to be lusting after a long-dead American statesman. Cute is cute is cute.
-
The Essential Rumi - Don't know. Felt like some poetry. The Prophet was good so I am now into these old Persian poets.
-
Tess of the D'urbervilles - Yes, I have this at home, unread. But this is a nifty little hardcover and it was going at Raven Used Books for $3.98, which, come on! And everyone tells me it's a very good book!
-
The Wretched of the Earth - I've wanted this for ages. Read some bits for class back in Cambridge, and it's considered one of the canonical books in the post-colonial studies field. I've read Memmi - Fanon's contemporary - and I Fanon is better. And I love the intro by Sartre.

More damage in the form of shoes. Pretty pink and silver suede ballet flats from the Gap, to be specific. This week I have been particularly bad in the shoe department - it's not always three pairs a week, really! Oei, don't judge. They were on sale!!


Nice? Nice?
Oh and while we're being superficial materialistic whores here - hee, Pam, one coach bag really = 28CDs, or 28books, or 28 expensive dinners, whatever.. I like this one, but that's for another lifetime/an alternate universe:

In an alternate universe, I would not have four 15page papers to churn out by the 15th of January. The random law school guy I'm meeting tomorrow to talk about - ahem, AIDS policy in Uganda - would also be terribly cute and fall helplessly in love with me.

Oh I also picked up a 512 MB SD card from the sidewalk/pavement today. Am feeling guilty.. it's just the thing I need for my camera, but that doesn't justify it, does it? I could go and plant it back there and hope the owner comes back for it.. but someone else'd probably take it, right? and yet - that doesn't justify it either. darn.

edited to add: I'm sending the SD card over to the University Lost and Found. I feel better now! :)

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey this is absolutely unfair. why is it the only time i get mentioned on your blog i'm linked to 'materialistic whores'????!!!! don't i get mentioned as a dear friend u miss terribly or something?!

i said my new year's resolution was to STOP shopping. AND besides, u paid just a little less for your burberry's bag... back when u were still an undergrad *wink*

2:30 PM  
Blogger leah said...

i think i replied wrongly to the notification in my gmail account. anyways - :) i will write an entire slobbering entry about you very soon, ok? hee hee.
and about the burberry bag - i didnt! it was like 60pounds, which is give and take 120 USD. that beautiful Coach creation? is like 400USD. gaaaaaaaah.
Oh and just so this is clear, PAMMY IS NOT A MATERIALISTIC WHORE, I AM!!

2:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

lol girls, if you want to spend 28 CDs/meals/whatever on a bag--Mulberry or Chloe is definitely the way forward! hehe or even better, since i'm really not a bag person, christian louboutin, jimmy choos, blahnik's or stuart weitzman! :p hehe my materialistic rant for the year--mind you, it's only a rant! restricted shopping for me!

8:27 PM  
Blogger leah said...

I wish *I* could say I'm not a bag person... I'm an EVERYTHING person - pretty anything goes.. shoes, bags, clothes, scarves, hats, gloves, gadgets... everything! doing some paid work rocks - instead of trying to save (and failing) I actually have some extra income to spend on discount shopping!! :)

8:52 AM  
Blogger Daniel said...

Hi Leah

Wow this blog is so cool, it's like you speaking to me all over again! I can really imagine you relating all your retail "sins" to me haha.

Glad to know you're coping fine - you always do lah. No matter how bad you make the situation sound...

You'd better enjoy your last year as a uni student, next year it'll be NIE for you. And that doesn't sound fun, now does it? =) Or how about 40 screaming kids in a class who are not keen to learn about oxbow lakes and growing tea in Peninsula Malaysia? [WHY THE HECK DID WE LEARN THAT ANYWAY?!?!]

BTW if you ask me, all that damage is *unjustified*...

7:40 AM  
Blogger leah said...

*chants to self: cute PE teacher.. cute PE teacher*

NIE is going to ROCK ok :P

Oh and personally, I think the wet rice cultivation in Java was more 'the hell..?!'

2:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

EH. THE COACH BAG cost me S$280. now that is only $100 more than your burberry's bag. i don't really know what my point is but anyway!

12:06 PM  
Blogger leah said...

You bought a coach bag?! which one? send picture!! I returned my gap ballet flats btw. cos i got a pair of cute PIIIINK ballet pumps online, and the gap ones didnt fit terribly well!

4:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Join the Blue Ribbon Online Free Speech Campaign
Join the Blue Ribbon Online Free Speech Campaign!