the heart asks pleasure first
So, turns out the name of one of my favourite tunes from Jane Campion's "The Piano" comes from Emily Dickinson.
And I immediately think - "oh but in that sleep of death what dreams may come, when we have shuffled off this mortal coil, must give us pause."
But it mustn't. ( or maybe it must. depends on how you look at 'pause' I guess.)
Do yourself a favour. Make a list of the things you really, really care about, will ya? And damn it, live by it.
For the root of all human resentment is our creaturely finitude.
I am rather tired of fluttering in all ways and flying in none.
The heart asks pleasure first,
And then, excuse from pain;
And then, those little anodynes
That deaden suffering;
And then, to go to sleep;
And then, if it should be
The will of its Inquisitor,
The liberty to die.
And I immediately think - "oh but in that sleep of death what dreams may come, when we have shuffled off this mortal coil, must give us pause."
But it mustn't. ( or maybe it must. depends on how you look at 'pause' I guess.)
Do yourself a favour. Make a list of the things you really, really care about, will ya? And damn it, live by it.
For the root of all human resentment is our creaturely finitude.
I am rather tired of fluttering in all ways and flying in none.

1 Comments:
i am paraphrasing Nietzsche.
oh and the tagore? haha. well what can i say? i am afterall an addled mass of contradictions and inconsistencies.
Post a Comment
<< Home