through a glass, darkly

Always there is a black spot in our sunshine: It is the Shadow of Ourselves.

Name:
Location: Singapore

Thursday, March 08, 2007

google maps is awesome

I suppose I must be the last person on the IT-saavy earth to realise this but Google Maps totally allows you to zoom in on cambridge so clearly you can see the bench beside the pond you always used to sit at to feed the emma ducks the leftovers from your peppercorns sandwich. I can see the huge tree in North Court, I can see Christ's front (first?) court (very distinctively circular in shape in a sea of rectangular greens), I can see from the shadows of the trees that it is early in the day over there, and I am imagining myself walking across King's Parade in the sun. It is March, so it'd probably still be slightly chilly, but bright and clear, and I would probably have shed my thick woollen winter coat. If you zip right across the atlantic you will also see the charles river curving along in cambridge, massachusetts. I see the junction of brattle street and mount auburn street where many a time i've almost gotten run over in the mad rush to get to ed school class, I see the undergrad houses (lowell, winthrop) and their clock-towers glint in the sun, I see harvard yard, where the trees look bare and wispy because unlike in the UK, March in New England is still nasty-cold.

I kind of want to cry now :( BOO.

4 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

It IS nasty cold...-13.3 degrees Celcius as I write this.

But I've also done the Google Maps zooming into Christ's College before. And the nostalgia hits you like a falling brick wall.

1:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i miss the corner of the courtyard in Emma, where they had these yellow traffic cones / witch's hats...

8:53 PM  
Blogger leah said...

that you nick and deposit in unsuspecting girls' bedrooms.. and leave for hapless bedders to remove! pffft.

11:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

1) unsuspecting = airheadedly drunk
2) shame on girls who make hapless bedders remove said cones!

3:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Join the Blue Ribbon Online Free Speech Campaign
Join the Blue Ribbon Online Free Speech Campaign!