through a glass, darkly

Always there is a black spot in our sunshine: It is the Shadow of Ourselves.

Name:
Location: Singapore

Tuesday, July 01, 2008

routine

So, The Event is finally over, and life - and work - goes on as usual. I've figured out why I've been feeling so antsy and restless for the past two weeks. It's not even the post-event fatigue (although I am pretty tired) - it's the sense that the year is repeating itself. And it is, I came into teaching last year in July and I'm just realising that I'm doing the same(ish) things I was doing last year, plus some (more trips to plan, lessons to create for A level geog). It's making me lie awake in bed at night, staring at the ceiling and wondering why I don't feel any great compulsion to fall asleep more quickly so that I can be bright-eyed bushy-tailed the next day. I can't really imagine how people do the same things year after year. I know, I know, the kids are different, the colleagues may change, and doing something again means that there are templates and procedures to follow and logically, it would be much easier to do so why not? I don't really have the answer to that, except that I feel restless and dissatisfied. I am suddenly very glad that I'm forced to move every two years (and now teaching for two-and-a-half years feels like an eternity). But what if I start to get the hang of the civil service thing and every posting starts feeling the same? Better not think so far.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


Join the Blue Ribbon Online Free Speech Campaign
Join the Blue Ribbon Online Free Speech Campaign!