oh! it's been a week..?
Hmmm. Sometimes I'm not so sure despite Pam's countless - and very much appreciated, I might add - professions of love that my friends don't secretly find me quite irksome and expendable... Oh yes, I DO recall Tim saying once that I'm quite expendable. (Kudos to him for a super-quick recovery, though - "I said, expAndable! With an A, not E! Can eat and grow fat!!")
Anyway - I have no idea how I got started along that vein.
The week has been hectic -
tons of reading, some pretty disappointing classes (nothing this term is really exciting me academically speaking.. I think my 3+6+4+2+3 years of school are starting to get to me...), a paper due, a rather random mid-week visit by Kahyong (who apparently doesn't know the difference between Wednesday and Thursday), an even more random encounter with Chan Lek whom I very randomly bumped into on the street (which momentarily made me panic and wonder frantically, as I am wont to do sometimes - "where the hell am I? England? US? Singapore? Somebody hold me." **), plus a number of very nerve-wrecking (but rather flattering, nonetheless) encounters which prove my theory in the previous entry about guys. I think I might settle for a good-looking asshat.
** I am not the only crazy goon who does this - Diana does, too! Not to say she is a crazy goon, of course. I told Berlina that Diana and I do that. And she said promptly, "What drugs have you two been taking again??". Eh, we have a reputation problem man..
Oh and I also watched Hotel Rwanda.
The others found it inspiring. I found Don Cheadle's character very, very attractive, and I was also rather disturbed and depressed by the film. Throughout the whole film a single theme leapt out at me: Left...behind. I don't know why it always touches something quite visceral in me - it was one of the main themes in "The Poisonwood Bible" (book recommendation! go read!) and I remember being very shaken by how Barbara Kingsolver literally used one of her characters to embody the idea of being left behind - the character was born with some congenital psychomotor problem that made the left side of her body crippled, so she was always dragging her left side behind her, and when her mother was made to choose which of her children to save from some crazy ant attack (this is set in the 1960s in the DRC), of course the mother chose her beautifu, perfectly-formed sister to carry to safety, not her. It's the arbitrariness in the way we choose that I cannot bear, I think - crippled or whole. Black or white. Male or female. Rich or poor. Are we really born that unequal?
Also, the film reminded me that the Rwandan genocide happened in 1994. When I was old enough to be cognizant of the terrible things happening. I have often wondered at the utter callousness and almost unbelieveable irresponsibility and blindness of the generation that allowed six million Jews, gypsies and other assorted human 'detritus' to be killed right under their knowing noses.
And then it hit me that we are no different.
Every generation has its Holocaust.
The DRC, Iraq, Afghanistan, Darfur, the Niger delta, Rwanda. Same difference.
We have always been callous selfish manipulative vicious greedy fools. Fools that the most perfect and sinless man who ever lived died a horrible, horrible death for.
How much pain are we causing him with our mindless, needless slaughter? With our habitual, ritualised, studied indifference and tacit complicity?
------------------
This is something that I feel intensely about, and it seems to have helped the couple of people I've sent it to, so I shall post it here -
From Milan Kundera's "The Unbearable Lightness of Being"
(emphases my own)
“We reject out of hand the idea that the love of our life may be something light or weightless; we presume our love is what must be, that without it our life would no longer be the same; we feel that Beethoven himself, gloomy and awe-inspiring, is playing the ‘Es muss sein!’ to our own great love.”
[...]
“Necessity knows no magic formulae – they are all left to chance. If love is to be unforgettable, fortuities must immediately start fluttering down to it like birds to Francis of Assisi’s shoulders.
“Our day to day life is bombarded with fortuities or, to be more precise, with the accidental meetings of people and events we call coincidences. ‘Co-incidence’ means that two events unexpectedly happen at the same time, they meet: Tomas appears in the hotel restaurant at the same time the radio is playing Beethoven. We do not even notice the great majority of such coincidences. If the seat Tomas occupied had been occupied instead by the local butcher, Tereza never would have noticed that the radio was playing Beethoven. But her nascent love inflamed her sense of beauty, and she would never forget that music. Whenever she heard it, she would be touched. Everything going on around her at that moment would be haloed by the music and take on its beauty.
“While people are fairly young and the musical composition of their lives is still in its opening bars, they can go about writing it together and exchange motifs, but if they meet when they are older, like Franz and Sabina, their musical compositions are more or less complete, and every motif, every object, every word means something different to each of them.”

2 Comments:
How much pain do we cause with that unkind word spoken, or the loving words we left unspoken? Or worse, the times hateful and resentful words have proceeded from our lips in indignant self-justified rage?
Or what about the times it's just taken too much effort to care a bit more about the people around us? to check that haughtiness and pride which tells us that we deserve all the good things we have but should be pitied for the bad things that befall us?
hmm. maybe i should add. how many needless haircuts, manicures, shoes, clothes, earrings have i purchased... when there are people who are dying literally because they have nothing to eat?
I don't think we even need to get to the point of our complicity in genocide or murder to get a good idea of how shit people (including ourselves) are.
Pam: I completely agree. It's just that sometimes I forget the extent of our (my?)fallenness. I like to think of myself as someone who may be self-indulgent, and sure, I buy lots of useless frippery for myself, but I wouldnt condone murder - would I? The film makes me realise that I actually would, and that I in fact AM condoning it every single day I spend not doing anything about it.
Taliesin: I would have given up a long time ago - in fact I did for a while - if not for the hope that He gives me. Yet, knowing His goodness and His sacrifice only makes facing the terrible sins of this world even more starkly painful. Maybe I haven't moved past the self-loathing/misanthropic state yet..
Post a Comment
<< Home