through a glass, darkly

Always there is a black spot in our sunshine: It is the Shadow of Ourselves.

Name:
Location: Singapore

Monday, July 03, 2006

In which leah ploughs manfully through the straits times in search of news

"News is stuff that somebody, somewhere doesn't want you to write. The rest
is just advertising."


Someone - a Singaporean - told me recently that she doesn't read the Straits Times (henceforth the ST) at all. I read it sporadically, usually with amusement but more often with ire, exasperation and occasionally sheer disbelief. Today I decided to go through the papers properly, systematically, for once and see what I come up with. (May also save you lot the trouble of having to go through the ST and deciding if it's worth your time - see how much I love? *pats own back and looks all martyr-like*)

So here we go -

A run-down of the headlines of today's Sunday Times, divided up according to their original headings:

So don't blame me if they sound stupid (orh, wait, nowadays they say teachers can only scold the chewren 'silly', not stupid, so I take it back), I mean, silly. Spelling and grammatical errors are as likely due to typos arising from heartbreak (Brazil, you heartless ass) and inebriation as well as the straits times', er, "silliness". Hey, here's a thought, if I use words equivalent to 'stupid' but are incomprehensible to most people (especially parents and school higher-ups and the MOE people), like daft, inane, asinine, insipid, vacuous etc etc , do you think I'd get away with it?


NEWS
Haaaaaaaaaaaah.
- Top of the news: MM: Changi Airport must keep growing
Look, the ST is making it damn hard for me to stay all objective and investigative (without much giggling and rolling of eyes, that is).
- Double murder: From shared home to gory crime scene
2 full pages of coverage! Befitting the most tabloidy, lurid and sensationalisd publication! Tsk, those terrible angmohs and, oh, all that crime and debauchery. So bad. No asian values, that's why.
-Battlefield Joo Chiat: Part II
Tsk, those terrible vietnamese prostitutes are invading our squeaky clean heartlands! Yada yada Joo Chiat PAP MP Chan Soo Sen yada yada leadership yada yada action plan yada yada solution yada yada confident yada yada.
- Smoking areas hard to spot
I find it hard to summon up any kind of reaction to this article. Except that it reminds me of an "the Onion" article which struck a raw nerve with me. If I remember right it was written in the aftermath of September 11, and it was something along the lines of 'A shattered nation longs to go back to caring about stupid shit like Britney Spears and Janet Jackson again'. Sometimes I wonder if that's what it's all about. Someone said to me - and I completely concur - "Singapore's curse is that everything works." Oh, true on SO many levels.
- $2.2m to promote Malay Language
Shhh. Concentrated intergenerational poverty what? disenfranchisement what? Social safety nets what?? Shhh.
- They came out tops in SAF - thanks to hard work, creativity
Zzzzzz.
- Just three planes on the tarmac on Changi's first night
Smug, self congratulatory old chinese men clinking champagne flutes. Zzzzz.
- A helping hand for those left behind in suicide cases
"For every person who commits suicide, at least five other people will suffer. The grief... they feel is overwhelming even as they struggle to come to terms with the suicide of their loved ones.... National Development Minister Mah Bow Tan said there was an urgent need to reach out to them."

Wah, no shit man.
Ah durrrrrh. But it's a good thing that suicide is in the news, I guess. Yet.. can you not tell me something more intelligent and vaguely informative? PLEASE?
-They'll do anything for football
Vaguely amusing. But does this have to be national news??
- Just 3 mins to get on or off a wheelchair-friendly bus
Might as well be an SMRT ad. Everything is hunky dory, as usual. Bus captains LOVE the extra work they have to do because there is nothing more joyous than more more more overworking and underpayment. Oh and by the way, as of now, all of TEN new buses have these wheelchair-friendly ramps. They aim to fit all buses with them when? 2023. Fantastic.
- Nabbed after friend's death-fall
See terrible foreigners, above.
- Indian national charged with attempted murder
As above. This is getting boring.
- Saving CPL Shalit: Why Israel is willing to risk war over a lowly corporal
So-so. Of course, only the international news has any meat to it. God forbid the home news section be anything like that.
- All shook up over visit to Graceland
Koizumi! Bush! Elvis! Good friends! Do we need to devote the better part of a page on this, really?
- Mediator for Mahathir-Abdullah rift
See, that crazy Mahathir. Say he won't come back and kachiau people he never keep promise. Now, the key is to never make that promise.
Battle of the old crazies who just will not die and go away: Singapore 1, Malaysia 0.
- All aboard the high Tibet Express
"China has said the railway could double tourism and slash transport costs to Tibet over coming years. But critics fear the railway will spur an influx of tourists and migrants who will erode Tibet's cultural identity."

I suppose I should be glad that the 'critics' even got a line in. But.. erosion of 'cultural identity' (ya, string two immensely complex portmanteau words together to form a meaningless phrase, sure) - that's it? How about the long and complicated history between Lhasa and Beijing? The role of the British? I'm not saying it can or should be covered in an article like this, but is it too much to ask for at least an indication of it?

- Thaksin back on radio despite opposition outcry
- 66 killed in car bomb attack in Baghdad's Shi'ite area
- U.S. Doctors' warning: Don't pass the salt
- U.S. still hopeful about trade talks despite impasse
- Ramos-Horta will be Timor's interim PM

INVEST
Zzzzzzzz. I got no money.
- Nailing down that home loan
Still teaching all the heavily leveraged Singaporeans to get into more debt? Well done, folks.
- Your personal adviser: How do I recover $30,000 from a dead debtor?
Good question. I've always wanted to know that.

PROPERTY
- Buyers flock to new mid-priced projects
- Civil servant uses colour to create classy look for living room
Yes, I regret to inform you that this article is every bit as excruciatingly stupid - oops, silly. my bad - as the title suggests.
- Must read: Tips for single women buying their own pad
This may be the single most subversive article in the whole of the ST *gasp*
- Me & My Money: Her college mate is her financial consultant
So, so bizarre.

THINK
You mean everything else in the paper doesn't require any brain activity? Got it.
Thanks for even telling me when, and what, to think (even though you won't feed me when I'm old, chuck me into dentention centres when I am homeless, don't care that I can't afford increasing healthcare costs etc etc.) Such a good deal, really.
- A US$31bn gift between friends
Edited transcript from press conference. Some pithy quotes, but doesn't really say as much as it could.
- Will a S'pore Bill Gates please stand up?
I eagerly await that day... but honestly, we suck. All the stuff about how our 'culture' is supposedly different from more giving societies doesn't exonerate us at all. We don't care for the poor and weak. It's a meritocracy, right?
- Taxi fare hike poser
I actually really like this article. Good that someone is speaking up for taxi drivers and pointing the finger at evil bloodsuckers like ComfortDelcro.
- Tut-tut, tut-ting goodbye
"World Cup fever has transformed rules-bound Germans into charming hosts"
Again, is this news-worthy? And why is this under the supposedly more cerebral section of the paper? Stereotypes, stereotypes, stereotypes.
- The Unusual Suspect
Long article about the soon-to-be-ex PM of Timor-Leste, Mari Alkatiri. More matter, less art, I say.

Two more sections on the world cup, and 'Click' (techie stuff), and then finally, the end is nigh:

TALK
- The email interview: film-maker Royston Tan
"Who says I'm a trouble-maker?"
Er, Parliament, maybe? I saw 15 - uncut, natch - and personally think Royston's a fascinating character. The interview doesn't do him or his work justice. But at least he's featured. Hey, we take what we get, right?

Phew. That was HARD work. I'm off to bed.. can't take too much thinking, this poor old brain of mine :) Oh wait, the conclusion of the matter -

I still think I am perhaps 80% justified in calling the ST The State's Times.

9 Comments:

Blogger Kah Yong said...

ahahaha... huh at least you don't have the NEW Straits Times... I grew up in Malaysia thinking that 90% of all that happens in the world happens in Malaysia...which is the type of people you get when 35 pages are dedicated to local news like "New potholes at Jalan Besar", and 3 pages of world news...

The Straits Times IS decent for the world news it DOES report I think...for local news it's just like any other media outlet in the world...just don't trust it too much for local reporting...

7:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I remember that in my first-1st year at uni, we used to get the weekly summary of the ST.

In this weekly summary, there was a page or two dedicated to Malaysia.

It's amazing how after a week of Malaysian history, the good folks in Singapore would report the highlights:

"woman jailed for torturing maid with hot iron"

"bomoh owns 7 mercedes"

"thieves steal manhole covers to sell as scrap... people send letters of complaint from depths of sewerage system"

Ok, i made the last bit up.

10:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

leah what sort of SM torture was that??? eh, you say wat everli taxi ah cek knows...st? si mik st...pak mang gai bo zhua...lock hou eng zhor umblella gai bo zhua...za bo, le jiang sek ziak pah boh tai zi zhor? seriously, ever considered volunteering your services at the chinese association what you may call it centre? the needy (our parents' wages enable us to qualify for the bottom 30% of the income earning population) kids could reallly use the extra tutoring. fan zhen ni xian zhe mei shi zhuo? :)

10:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Maybe I've become too ingrained in the insipid masses that make up the bulk of Singaporeans but I am not sure if there's a point in your entry. At the least there could have been less sneering and more constructive criticism.

I want to comment on what you said, but first I want to say that I do agree with you that the standard of journalism isn't quite there yet. I for one would be grateful for more thought provoking reporting and less gory pictures in my breakfast reading. And of course it has yet to reach the lofty heights of the New York Times (And even the NYT isn't immune from bad reporting. See for instance the most recent fiasco that I know of, the report on standing room flights http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/business/267888_seats25.html). But - and I think we've discussed this before - we can hardly expect more given the circumstances. With that much control over press freedom, and restrictions to the number of newspapers that are published in Singapore, it's only reasonable that the main English paper tries to capture as much readership as possible. If only because it's better to give the population some news than none at all. I really don't see how awareness can increase among the general population if our main paper pitches itself at such a high level that it becomes inaccessible to it.

More independent reporting wouldn't hurt either, but then again with the publishing licence of each journalist and even the newspaper subject to renewal annually by a mysterious 'power of the minister', can you really blame them for self-censorship? You might argue that braver reporters would have done it but let's face it, just how many truly brave souls are there in the world? And is it really worth courting that much trouble for admittedly mundane pieces of political news? I guess I'm saying that given the same stakes even the most intrepid reporter wouldn't risk it. Look at the libel lawsuits that were brought against foreign publications like the Far Eastern Economic Review in the past. Didn't they settle out of court as well?

Honestly, I think you came across as arrogant and that some of your rant belied a lack of thinking on your part. I pick two pieces of news you commented on that strike me as particularly unwarranted:

Battlefield Joo Chiat: Part II.

There IS a prostitute problem, and the last time I was there it WAS severe. You just came back from abroad so you wouldn't know but I personally wouldn't walk down parts of Joo Chiat Road after, oh 7 o'clock at night. And I don't know if you've got prostitutes living near where you are but if you're like me, and you've noticed that some of your new neighbours appear to be seamstresses (in the Pratchett sense) you'd be worried as well. It's a very real problem, and by mocking it, it shows just how detached you are from what's going on here. Mundane? Surely not. If prostitutes were to move out of the Bronx onto Staten Island there'd be an outcry in the NYT as well.

All abroad the high Tibet Express

They did cite the source of the news as AFP. When I read that article it sounded a lot like what was on the BBC website, which, incidentally, doesn't mention British influence in Tibet either. Failure to face up to their colonial past? Or just plain prejudice and ignorance? Generally, ST's Chinese news has been rather more multi-dimensional and balanced than other international sources, and I applaud them for that.

One last thing. You've got to ask yourself: If not this piece of news, then what? You seem to have a problem with the mundane nature of the news in the paper. I'd argue that this is less of a problem with the standard of reporting and more of a problem with how terribly small and (thank god) relatively peaceful we are. Give our journalists a break, they're just trying to make do with what little news we have.

Hmm that's all I have to say for now. It's late, pardon any typos etc. At the risk of sounding condescending, I'm going to put down the recent rants which I find rather annoying to you missing New England. If that's not the case, then as your long time friend and confidante I'd implore you to get off your intellectual high horse. It's not very flattering at all.

Ahh... I just realised what a bloody long post this was...=p In case my comments sounded too harsh - I still love you=p (no not in kinky lesbian way...)

1:19 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

that was a good bingely-beep-beep!

11:32 AM  
Blogger leah said...

Yingxiang -
I know that there IS a prostitute problem in Joo chiat, and the issue i am taking with that particular article isnt the 'mundane-ness' of the news. it's the fact that they arent reporting any substantive action or development of the problem at all. I don't remember - correct me if I'm wrong, that article was read late at night and was one of the many many i read - any concrete action plan, any evaluation of the problem and thoughtful analysis of how it came about, what we should do about it in what kind of timeframe etc. Instead a lot of it was devoted to quoting residents who are essentially saying, oh shit, we have a prostitutes problem, the PAP MP whoever saying a lot of fluffy stuff about how he was working together with the people there to solve this problem, how they're confident it'll be solved yada yada. which makes that particular article quite pointless, don t you think?

Oh yes, i did read the BBC article on the tibet thing as well - and it's nothing to boast about either.

I agree with the points you are making about the straits times, and i know that if i were an ST reporter i would *probably* self censor too. It is also true that editors and other powers that be high up there make intelligent, thoughtful journalists edit their articles to look like, well, the stuff we see in the papers every morning. i guess i m not blaming or laughing at the journalists - or any individual journalist or even editor - in the ST but i remain quite disgusted and disappointed. and all i can do is of course stop reading the ST if it irks me so much. i could write the occasional scathing letter to the forum but since they havent published any of my last three efforts - ah well. boo :P

Oh and i started out wanting to be more than snide and annoying. i wanted to be constructively critical. but that takes a hell of a lot of work (which i kind of realised a third into the blog post) and i was tired of typing like a snail on my brother's stupid 'ergonomic' keyboard (now that my laptop is dead). ya getting tired again about NOW.. cursed keyboard. ergonomic my ass, all my fingertips are aching already.

oh wait - and the thing you said about how we are obsessed over super mundane stuff because we are so blessedly small and peaceful - that was exactly what i meant when i referenced the onion article. i guess i could be more thankful for, er, our parochial nature and smug self complacency? oh no, was that snide again? my bad :)

12:34 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

running at night...

one of the nice things about Singapore

of course, in a country with more reasonable weather, you wouldn't need to wait till the sun went down to exercise outdoors

depends on how you view it, really

or, you could just run, at night, in singapore, and enjoy the endorphins

10:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You should clear up your room. It's been quite some time.

10:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ok, i have to agree, SISTIC sucks big time.

i suspect it's the landfill equivalent for sub-sub-prime civil servants who were mistakenly promised a dual career.

11:09 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Join the Blue Ribbon Online Free Speech Campaign
Join the Blue Ribbon Online Free Speech Campaign!