through a glass, darkly

Always there is a black spot in our sunshine: It is the Shadow of Ourselves.

Name:
Location: Singapore

Wednesday, November 15, 2006

For K

How strange; a curious coincidence. Just this morning I finally threw out the wilted remnants of the pink lilies - lilies, and not roses - you gave me nearly two weeks ago.

For you, and for us:

Flowers

Some men never think of it.
You did. You'd come along
And say you'd nearly brought me flowers
But something had gone wrong.

The shop was closed. Or you had doubts -
The sort that minds like ours
Dream up incessantly. You thought
I might not want your flowers.

It made me smile and hug you then.
Now I can only smile.
But, Look, the flowers you nearly brought me
Have lasted all this while.


Wendy Cope


Thank you for making me so happy, and I hope I make you happy, too.


4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

i hear bluebirds singing
and... churchbells a-ringing.

Thank god, i do not hear *nsync.

3:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So glad I am that I got the flowers
dodging the crowds who stood in my way
not seeing or hearing the well-wishers
who badly wanted us to hear them say
they loved us and only wished for us
the fullest that life's loves can bring

So glad I am that I got the flowers
now you and I have more cause to sing.

12:25 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

K, I called you the other day.. wondering if i'd get the bird on the wire instead of you.. ha. i suppose some things in life are not reversible, unlike undergarments.

5:30 PM  
Blogger leah said...

actually, it IS reversible. Just ask pam :)

6:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Join the Blue Ribbon Online Free Speech Campaign
Join the Blue Ribbon Online Free Speech Campaign!