How to piss off your grandmother: a step-by-step guide
This one's fail-proof.
I don't regret it one bit :P Well maybe Step 1 was unwise.
But the tea's tasting quite good. And if not for the fact that she's 85 and my mother's mother I would have been a lot more belligerent about the way she keeps her domestic helper cooped up at home 24/7 (oh and plus I couldn't - can't - be all self-righteous and devastatingly intelligent and persuasive in Teochew. Damn!)
Anyway - photos from Morocco (circa June 2004):




And I really love this one of Siau in her all-purpose hoodie, heehee :)
Step 1: Tote your laptop along when visiting and plonk it down, turn it on, and start typing away within 15min of arriving at her house (a lot of assignments, hello?).
Step 2: On a stroke of inspiration, pilfer a whole bunch of mint leaves from her garden, thereby leaving her precious mint plant sadly diminished, in attempt recreate Moroccan mint tea.
Step 3: Get into a raging argument - well, as raging an argument as one's stilted Teochew allows for - with her about her domestic worker's inalienable right to freedom of movement (hari raya, hello?).
I don't regret it one bit :P Well maybe Step 1 was unwise.
But the tea's tasting quite good. And if not for the fact that she's 85 and my mother's mother I would have been a lot more belligerent about the way she keeps her domestic helper cooped up at home 24/7 (oh and plus I couldn't - can't - be all self-righteous and devastatingly intelligent and persuasive in Teochew. Damn!)
Anyway - photos from Morocco (circa June 2004):




And I really love this one of Siau in her all-purpose hoodie, heehee :)

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home