saturday morning lie-ins
I miss lie-ins almost as much as I miss the sun glinting off the icy expanse of the Charles on a crisp wintry morning - all blazing blue and razor-edged; frosty, precise, exact - the crunch of salt on the sidewalk under my booted feet, the brush of cashmere wool, dusky pink, against my jaw.
Especially after an entire week of sleep deprivation, waking up on a Saturday morning having slept a full nine hours seems especially, absurdly wonderful. To top it off, I get this text message from my dyslexic tuition kid:
Can only imagine what it feels like if an entire class actually improves under my instruction. This beats NIE - omg the assignments due in the next two weeks.. kill me now - hands down. Maybe it is worth putting myself through this after all.
Last night at cell I got made emcee for a cell mate's wedding this coming February. Some mixed feelings. I don't mind doing it, that's for sure, but somehow I feel like she's shortchanging herself.. wouldn't you prefer someone who's known you for a bit more than.. three months? Someone who can laugh with you, at the same inside jokes, when the video presentation is going on? Someone who can get all teary for you, because he or she has walked and grown with you all these years, and not because he or she just gets generally teary at weddings (yes, I am guilty of that)? Oh well. I will probably speak to her soon(ish) about this. Don't want to make it look like I'm shirking, though.
Righty-ho. Work beckons.
I must say that what I miss more than lie-ins (supplemented with nice smses or else), though, is waking up to a still and undisturbed space feeling absolutely unimpinged-upon, with time, space, life spread out all around me, there for the taking.
p.s. apparently 'lie-ins' is a uniquely British turn of phrase. I must clarify that it is not a misspelling - or mispronunciation - of the more commonly known word 'lions'. don't laugh at this. people have been known to get the two muddled.
Especially after an entire week of sleep deprivation, waking up on a Saturday morning having slept a full nine hours seems especially, absurdly wonderful. To top it off, I get this text message from my dyslexic tuition kid:
"Hey, I finally passed my geog! At this rate next year I sure get A1. Definately. [sic]Yay! So happy.
Thanks leh!"
Can only imagine what it feels like if an entire class actually improves under my instruction. This beats NIE - omg the assignments due in the next two weeks.. kill me now - hands down. Maybe it is worth putting myself through this after all.
Last night at cell I got made emcee for a cell mate's wedding this coming February. Some mixed feelings. I don't mind doing it, that's for sure, but somehow I feel like she's shortchanging herself.. wouldn't you prefer someone who's known you for a bit more than.. three months? Someone who can laugh with you, at the same inside jokes, when the video presentation is going on? Someone who can get all teary for you, because he or she has walked and grown with you all these years, and not because he or she just gets generally teary at weddings (yes, I am guilty of that)? Oh well. I will probably speak to her soon(ish) about this. Don't want to make it look like I'm shirking, though.
Righty-ho. Work beckons.
I must say that what I miss more than lie-ins (supplemented with nice smses or else), though, is waking up to a still and undisturbed space feeling absolutely unimpinged-upon, with time, space, life spread out all around me, there for the taking.
p.s. apparently 'lie-ins' is a uniquely British turn of phrase. I must clarify that it is not a misspelling - or mispronunciation - of the more commonly known word 'lions'. don't laugh at this. people have been known to get the two muddled.

3 Comments:
perhaps you are simply the only english-speaking person she knows who's available!
like, real english, you know?
and for those who are not familiar with the phrase 'lie-in', it refers to cuddling in bed with an attractive member of the opposite gender.
attractiveness often hugely subjective.
cuddling often a rather .. loose term.
it DOES? I thought it simply means sleeping in! like, on a weekend morning when you don't have to haul your ass up at 6.45am to make your grouchy way to god-forsaken Boon Lay! In that case, I *retract* what I say about missing lie-ins :P
just kidding!!
it does mean to just sleep-in
=P
Post a Comment
<< Home