How to grade english essays (part 1)
Most of today's E Lang teaching class was spent giggling at the back of the class (and getting picked on by my tutor, followed by *more* helpless giggling at the next inane thing David said.) So we were meant to grade a series of sample essays with a given set of guidelines, and the very last one - of four - was titled thus: "The Boy with a Fatal Disease", and it contained such gems as:
I found it unbearably funny, and was trying really hard not to laugh. We had to write down our 'constructive comments' at the end of the essay, so I did. Then David and I swapped papers, took one look, and...completely lost it.
We'd both written: "Well done! Unexpectedly hilarious."
'I had a friend named Joe, he was one of my close friends. He was kind, smart, caring and helpful but it was sad to say that he had a fatal disease... "
"One tuesday morning, he fainted suddenly!... He had only five months to live.. from that day onwards, the usual smile on his face was gone, he turned pale and weak..."
"This incident happened three years ago, but I still could not forget it. The image was too deep for me. I still miss him."
I found it unbearably funny, and was trying really hard not to laugh. We had to write down our 'constructive comments' at the end of the essay, so I did. Then David and I swapped papers, took one look, and...completely lost it.
We'd both written: "Well done! Unexpectedly hilarious."

1 Comments:
did you realise that the essay is encoded.. if you take the 1st and then 3rd letter of successive words, alternating between 1st and 3rd, skipping those 2 or 1 letter words where you're supposed to take the 3rd letter, you get a really cool message!!
(it's the address to yong joo secondary school, remarkably!)
Post a Comment
<< Home