It's the rainy season now, and usually the day starts off either overcast or fairly sunny, but then the clouds roll in, predictably, in the early afternoon, and the rest of the day is just wet and miserable. It was different today. I set off for Morton's - again! muahaha - at 4ish and it struck me strongly, compellingly, that it was a beautiful day. It didn't just look beautiful. It felt beautiful too, and it even made me feel beautiful. It's odd, I know. I don't know if it's the mefloquine (anti malaria pills) messing around with my head - but there was something in the air (cool and breezy, for once), something of the absurd - both in degree and in kind - in the beaming cornflower blue of sky and brilliant viridity of grass that just made me feel so very, very happy and certain that God's smile was in that moment falling lightly, lovingly, on His creation.
--------
I had a really odd - and very vivid - dream last night (again, blame it on the anti-malarials. yes, I'm switching pills from now on). In it I was in a cold, grey place, scaling a flight of stairs hewn out of a steep rocky slope. I remember looking down, feeling distinctly and unpleasantly vertiginous (which in itself is odd for me, because if anything I have an unhealthy lack of fear of heights normally). Whenever I stopped or hesitated the steps beneath me would start becoming slopey and slushy, I would panick and start bending down, crouching closer to the ground to keep my footing, and basically end up curled up on the ground, clinging on to no-idea-what (not railings, certainly - there were none), looking down at the long long fall to the foot of the slope with infinite fear. I somehow knew with certainty that if I were to let go - again, of what I don't know - I would fall to my death. I also somehow knew that at the top of the flight of stairs lay some elusive place all my fellow staircase-climbers desperately wanted to reach (none of them would stop to help me, for if they didn't keep moving upwards the steps beneath them would go all slushy and slippery too and they'd end up stuck just like me).
So I had that recurring nightmare the entire night.. and when I woke up this morning I thought, I know what's at the top of the flight of stairs! I know what we were all trying so damn hard to reach!
*drumroll* TADA!!

Widener Library!!! Eeeeeyurrrrrr. Damn gross!
I think I must be stressed out. That would explain the stupid pimples too.
Off to India in two days!

6 Comments:
i've never been to the UL either
but i've eaten ostrich burgers, and fallen into the Cam once
well I've done two out of three - UL and ostrich burger. not bad at all, i say! :)
Ade - that is BLASPHEMOUS lor. You better go back and pay homage to the gods of the UL... when we get our MAs would be a good time!
when DO we get our MAs, anyone know? wait, i'm not in your batch. maybe they forgot to give me my MA... hmm
Mmmm....
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Master_of_Arts_(Oxbridge)
4 years then...
ok. that's it. you've got to come back RIGHT NOW. i'm reaching the breaking point of my leah-withdrawal, and i need a fix soon. really soon. its been 2 whole flipping weeks sans messages/emails/hellos and i don't think i can deal. you heard me? you got that? RIGHT NOW.
I guess india has no internet access. That would explain why i never see blogs in indian. or hindi. or tamil.
Sad, eh? Even Yong Joo has recently discovered internet.
Post a Comment
<< Home