on remembering
For my dearest P and D.
I want to hug you both and make it all go away. But I can't.
In the aftermath of a love so fervid and luminous that you can't, you don't want to, you never think you'll be able to remember a time before he was near - I instinctively feel that only this poem, which revels petulantly, stubbornly, unrepentantly in pain and want, will do. The last couple of lines get me, every time.
Or sometimes you move on to a certain curious nothingness that part of you - this niggly little voice - tells you is wrong, somehow unreal, a wimpy facade.
But no - both are not what I want to leave you with. I want to leave you with the memory of the possibility of sunlight and stillness and joy, because some day, soon, you will sit again in a garden of gold and green - and love, and smile. This next piece, if you overlook the WWII references, sets a better tone, I hope -
No we cannot beg for pardon, we cannot beg for the liberty of forgetting. But we seek solace in the remembrance of warmth and joy, and in the knowledge that we gave of ourselves bravely, and that we somehow – miracles of miracles - brought happiness to someone dearly loved.
I want to hug you both and make it all go away. But I can't.
In the aftermath of a love so fervid and luminous that you can't, you don't want to, you never think you'll be able to remember a time before he was near - I instinctively feel that only this poem, which revels petulantly, stubbornly, unrepentantly in pain and want, will do. The last couple of lines get me, every time.
Time does not bring relief; you all have lied
Who told me time would ease me of my pain!
I miss him in the weeping of the rain;
I want him at the shrinking of the tide;
The old snows melt from every mountain-side,
And last year's leaves are smoke in every lane;
But last year's bitter loving must remain
Heaped on my heart, and my old thoughts abide!
There are a hundred places where I fear
To go, ... so with his memory they brim!
And entering with relief some quiet place
Where never fell his foot or shone his face.
I say, "There is no memory of him here!"
And so stand stricken, so remembering him!
Edna St. Vincent Millay
Or sometimes you move on to a certain curious nothingness that part of you - this niggly little voice - tells you is wrong, somehow unreal, a wimpy facade.
After great pain a formal feeling comes--
The nerves sit ceremonious like tombs;
The stiff Heart questions--was it He that bore?
And yesterday--or centuries before?
The feet, mechanical, go round
A wooden way
Of ground, or air, or ought,
Regardless grown,
A quartz contentment, like a stone.
This is the hour of lead
Remembered if outlived,
As freezing persons recollect the snow--
First chill, then stupor, then the letting go.
Emily Dickinson
But no - both are not what I want to leave you with. I want to leave you with the memory of the possibility of sunlight and stillness and joy, because some day, soon, you will sit again in a garden of gold and green - and love, and smile. This next piece, if you overlook the WWII references, sets a better tone, I hope -
The Sunlight on the Garden
The sunlight on the garden
Hardens and grows cold.
We cannot cage the minute
Within its nets of gold;
When all is told
We cannot beg for pardon.
Our freedom as free lances
Advances towards its end;
The earth compels, upon it
Sonnets and birds descend;
And soon, my friend,
We shall have no time for dances.
The sky was good for flying
Defying the church bells
And every evil iron
Siren and what it tells:
The earth compels,
We are dying, Egypt, dying
And not expecting pardon,
Hardened in heart anew,
But glad to have sat under
Thunder and rain with you,
And grateful too
For sunlight on the garden.
Louis MacNeice
No we cannot beg for pardon, we cannot beg for the liberty of forgetting. But we seek solace in the remembrance of warmth and joy, and in the knowledge that we gave of ourselves bravely, and that we somehow – miracles of miracles - brought happiness to someone dearly loved.

7 Comments:
thank you sweetie.
if anything, above all, i love you dearly.
that's a lot of poetry...you wear out my scroll wheel
enjoy your date with k and p...
Oh, puzzle of the day:
(LY)JMJK
Clue...
(rubbish DNA)DNA
Haha I got that one entirely too quickly. No need clue one :P I think you missed one out though. It should read - (LY)YJMJK :)
Love After Love, by Derek Walcott
The time will come
when, with elation
you will greet yourself arriving
at your own door, in your own mirror
and each will smile at the other's welcome,
and say, sit here. Eat.
You will love again the stranger who was your self.
Give wine. Give bread. Give back your heart
to itself, to the stranger who has loved you
all your life, whom you ignored
for another, who knows you by heart.
Take down the love letters from the bookshelf,
the photographs, the desperate notes,
peel your own image from the mirror.
Sit. Feast on your life.
...firewalls can only perv at blogs helplessly... they cannot actually block traffic (or so one hopes)
men who want to be men should not keep girls and lesbians trapped in skinny male bodies from each other. it's twisted!
come to yong joo
there are boys there
forget your homework
bring toys to share
you will eat ice cream
and wear D&G
on Fridays we all
dress like a banana
(if D&G doesn't rhyme with banana in your ah-beng/lian mind, you really DO belong in Yong Joo)
leahs of firewalls
protect the innocent
unsuspecting males
from the damsel of distress
somehow the oestrogen giver
got stuck within as well
Post a Comment
<< Home