Found this little gem in - of all places - my college magazine which just arrived in the mail today (we topped the Tompkins Table again, yay!).
This is what you feel like when you're inside
my mind, I told her, one evening in the park
when the necks of the swans were question marks
and the string ensemble had just tried
to land their violins on Corelli's rocky beach.
No - wait! I thought, yet my words, fired
from my mouth without aiming, sailed higher
and higher over her ears. Christ. You couldn't teach
someone to shoot worse than that - but still,
the damage was done, something of my sentiment
stinging her cheek where it had grazed her,
and she turned aside and laughed a little,
as if the things I'd said had been an accident,
a miracle, a dud grenade, sent there to amaze her.
Benjamin Morris

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home